Wednesday 18 April 2012

Miss Julia is writing a novel

Here's what's been happening since I submitted my manuscript to the publishers at the end of March.

I have been carrying on with my writing practice, only this time, I am stretching the boundaries.

Yep.

This time, I'm writing a story.

Breathe, Miss Julia.

* * * *

About 10 years ago I began to write the basic outlines for a novel.  I wrote quite alot of it and printed it all out.  It has been with me on my journey, carted around from pillar to post.  I didn't really think that I would do anything with it - it was a time for me to creatively explore words and think about the story.  Some of it was and is based on my experiences of years gone by but it's by no means all about me.

There may be some of you who remember that I have been planning to start writing a book about my healing journey back to health from M.E/CFS all those years ago.  There's something not quite flowing with this.  I don't know if it's a case of not wanting to revisit it just now.   I know I'll get there with that.  It's important for me to write a handbook for that journey because I did so many things and found my health again, (which thank the goddess has been with me now for about 14 years).

I hadn't thought of doing anything with my other writing exploits but in talking with a friend recently, she encouraged me to "give it a go".  She offered to be my 'writing buddy', someone who I could send chapters to read.

Woo.  Scary.

I tentatively began.  Rearranging, getting into the mode of writing daily and thinking about the story, the characters and the underlying plot.

I sent her the first chapter.  Those first baby steps in to unchartered territory.

She sent back this email:

Omg, it's completely captivating- please send more!


Then she wrote


These opening pages have completely drawn me in- like a fish on a hook. The effect on me, the reader, is wanting to know more and enjoying seeing the personal development of the main character, knowing that she will find her inner goddess! 
I do believe you are amongst many other things- a novelist!!


I was taken aback.  Now she's not a 'writer' but boy has this woman read a heap load of stuff in her time. She's a lawyer by trade, a hypnotherapist, psychotherapist and all round creative spark so I can only say I was totally floored by her reply.


It has given me the confidence to continue to write this story.  "What will happen with it?" Who knows? 


What it has done, for now, is.... it has enabled me to continue my writing practice.  I am enjoying splitting my time between employment, freelance work, art, writing and drinking tea.


I realised as I tip type away that it's always good to have a blank piece of paper by the side of me as I'm writing.  Suddenly I get the urge to jot something down, or doodle, which may be completely unrelated to whatever it is I'm doing.  This goes back to the good old days of learning to touch type.  


Being so absorbed in the typing, that a part of my brain can remember things I need to do.  It's a form of meditation for me.


I have recently been watching Marie Forleo TV on you tube - she's fab, offering some great advice and is funny too! I came across this quote when she interviewed Steven Pressfield, author of Do the Work! He asked


What is the one thing that scares you the most?
Cos that's what you have to do next.


That's what I'm doing.  
What about you? 


Much Love
Jules xx


PS here's a recent doodle whilst writing!





4 comments:

  1. You GO FOR IT Jules!
    Love Henny xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you So much! That's sweet to write xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing read Julia - this is obviously meant to be! I like the quote about what scares you as this is what you have to do next and a great doodle by the way, I get a feeling of growth and moving forward when looking at it, which is kind of relevant I feel? x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quote is amazing isn't it? I keep putting certain creative things off because when I dig deep, they scare me. So a little bit every day and who knows where it leads. x

    ReplyDelete

You May Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...