Wednesday 26 October 2011

Memories of New Mexico

Today, I am remembering my time in New Mexico.  Back in 2004,  I decided to take a huge leap and attend the 6th International Conference on Science and Consciousness in Albuquerque.  

Phew, I need to breathe just reading that!

It was a real journey for me.  The first time I had travelled to the States before, the first time travelling all that way on my own, deciding to spend 3 weeks there, I hired a car, travelled to Santa Fe and Taos. The creative hub of NM.

So many firsts.  It was an almost like I needed to go there.  And go there I did.  
Me and Monika (shaky phone photo)

Why am I thinking this today?  Well I remember sitting under a tree with my new friend Monika.  We had met on the first day of the conference and connected.  Ending up spending about 5 more days together afterwards in a little guest house in Corrales with Myles her husband and Nick Day, Director and Producer extraordinaire of Short Cut to Nirvana.

Monika and I spent days talking about 'reality' and even thought up every chapter of our book that we would write together.  'The Reality Busters. It was a magical time.

I remember as we sat on our little bench in the garden, Monika told me about the second verse of the Lords prayer.  One that I had never heard.  Growing up in Jewish home, it wasn't something that I knew very well, but as my interest in cultures, religions and spirituality developed, I was soon taken with this piece of writing.

We all know the beginning of the prayer - we hear it all the time.... but do you know the second verse?

Our Mother which art upon earth
hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come
and thy will be done
in us as it is in thee
As thou sendest every day thy angels
send them also to us
Forgive us our sins
as we atone all our sins against thee
And lead us not into sickness
but deliver us from all evil
for thine is the earth
the body, and the health
Amen

It is a shame that this second part was not incorporated into general worship.  It really does shows the male and female energies - both playing their part.  I found it last night on my laptop, so this is why it prompted me to think about the whole new mexico adventure. 

This conference was an eye opener for me.  I listened to fantastic speakers, such as Peter Russell, Candace Pert, Judith Orloff,  I met Greg Tamblyn and walked the labyrinth beautifully crafted by Joe Miguez. (sorry can't find any link to him).  I drank Margaritas up mountains and spent afternoons visiting the wonderful art galleries in Santa Fe and Taos. I took numerous photos, wrote incessantly in my journal, sketched and planned my next move.  

This all reminded me of how I just jumped at the chance. I booked my flight, booked the conference and counted it down. 

That's the kinda gal I love to hear about.  I'm wondering where she is?

Visiting Whole Foods

Discovering Miss Julia and her books!

Margaritas for 4 as the sun sets above the Sandia Mountains
(Sandia means watermelon in spanish - love that!)
So this is where the memory ends, or does it begin?

Love Jules xx


4 comments:

  1. Lovely post Jules, sounds like you had a wonderful time in New Mexico. What a discovery finding those Miss Julia books!
    I've not heard that version of the Lords Prayer second verse, beautiful.
    That kind of girl you like to hear about it still there, remember how you jumped on a plane to Portugal earlier this year? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful isn't it - Our Mother which art upon earth (note the 'art').. I loved it when I first heard it too... glad that I found it when I was tidying up. Yes you're right there are glimpses of Miss Julia goes to Portugal, it's the day to day bravery that I'm seeking - of moving forward - and really truly peeling back the layers. Thanks so much Swirls x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Julia, this is your New Mexico friend Monika writing from thousands of miles away, but very close to you in love and thoughts. I'm so very touched by your words as you remember the enchanting times we had in New Mexico. Thank you for keeping the memories alive. Actually, Myles and I are thinking about returning to the South West ... Sedona perhaps. Wouldn't it be lovely if you and Will would meet us there? Let's keep this dream alive, I know it'll happen some day. :-) Many blessings to you my dear friend and a big bear hug. P.S. Do you still have the cards? Draw one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive never heard that part of the prayer either but now I have I love it and it has a place in my little prayer book.
    Goddess bless you

    ReplyDelete

You May Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...